prof. dr. D.E. Grobbee
prof. dr. D.E. Grobbee
- Department of Epidemiology
- Julius Center Research Program Cardiovascular Epidemiology
Diederick (Rick) E. Grobbee was trained as a medical doctor at Utrecht University. He then conducted PhD research in the field of hypertension at Erasmus University in Rotterdam (12/83-6/1986). After a residency in Internal Medicine, he returned to the Erasmus University as an associate professor and then Full professor of Clinical Epidemiology (1993). In Rotterdam he was responsible for the cardiovascular disease research program of the Department of Epidemiology, and was one of the founders of the Rotterdam Study (www.epib.nl/research/ergo.htm). In 1996 he was appointed professor of Clinical Epidemiology at Utrecht University and founded of the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care (1996), a division of the University Medical Center Utrecht (UMCU) currently employing approximately 500 staff (www.juliuscenter.nl). In 2008 he founded Julius Clinical Ltd., a full service Academic Clinical Research Organization (www.juliusclinical.com) of which he serves as Chief Medical Officer and Statutory Director. At the University Medical Center Utrecht, he just finished his term as the chair of the Center for Circulatory Health at the UMCU governing cardiovascular patient care, research and education. Previous positions include director of the Rotterdam Medical Research Foundation, member of the board of Erasmus University Medical Center, and visiting Associate Professor at Harvard University, Boston. He holds honorary appointments in Sydney and Kuala Lumpur. At Utrecht University he was appointed Distinguished University Professor in 2010.
Rick Grobbee has been a (principal) investigator in many large-scale epidemiologic studies and randomized intervention trials relating to the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular, cardiometabolic, and cardiorenal disease. In addition he works on the principles and methods of treatment research, trial design and (big-) data analysis. In the Netherlands he was member of the supervisory board of the Netherlands Heart Foundation and acted in several roles in committees of the National Research Council (ZonMW). He is chair of the Dutch National Research Agenda (NWA) route "Prevention". He has been listed in the top 100 global most influential biomedical researchers (Eur J Clin Invest 2013 Dec;43(12):1339-65) and has consistently been ranked as highly cited author by Web of Science over the last decades.
Rick Grobbee has been on the editorial boards of several journals and (inter) national scientific, search, and site-visit committees. Current journal roles include editor-in-chief of Global Heart (https://globalheartjournal.com/), senior consulting editor of the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology of which he served as editor-in-chief for eight years. He is immediate past-president of the European Association for Preventive Cardiology and member of the board of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and chair of the ESC Global Affairs Committee. He is member of the board of the World Heart Federation Rick Grobbee is fellow of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences and served as the chair of its Medical Section and Advisory Council for the Medical Sciences. He is honorary fellow of the Indonesian Heart Association and of the Romanian Society of Cardiology. In recent years his attention has increasingly been directed towards global circulatory health (www.globalhealth.eu ), and on-line education for which he founded Elevate, a platform providing global post graduate courses, masters programs and eductional consultancy (www.elevatehealth.eu ). Rick Grobbee was a recipient of a 2019 NWO Gravitation Award "Exposomics" and current coordinator of three EU grants. In 2017 he was knighted by the Dutch King (Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion). To date, Prof. Grobbee has authored or co-authored over 1,300 scientific papers (PubMed), chapters, and books, and has supervised more than 150 PhD fellows. His Hirsch index (Web of Science) is 151.
- Chief Scientific Officer and Statutory Director, Julius Clinical Ltd. Academic Clinical Research Organization (0.5 Fte)
- Director, Utrecht University MSc and PhD in Epidemiology Programmes
- Chair Missieteam 1 (Prevention), Health Holland (2020)
- Chair ("Boegbeeld"), National Research Agenda (NWA) Route Health Research, Prevention and Treatment
- Member, Board of Studies, Graduate School Life Sciences, Utrecht University
- Fellow, Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences
- Fellow, European Society of Cardiology
- Member, Board, European Society of Cardiology
- Member, Board, World Heart Federation
- Chair, Global Affairs Committee, European Society of Cardiology
- Member, Practice Guidelines Committee, European Society of Cardiology
- Past-President, European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation
- Member Executive Board, European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation
- Chair, International Scientific Advisory Board, BBMRI (Biobanking Netherlands)
- Editor in Chief, Global Heart
- Senior Consulting Editor, European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation
- Member, Editorial Board Netherlands Journal of Medicine
- Member, Editorial Board, Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports
- Member, Editorial Board Cardiovascular Risk
- Member, Various Scientific Advisory, Safety Monitoring en Adjudication Committees International Clinical Trials
Fellowship and Awards
- 2008 Prevention award. German Society of Cardiology
- 2008 Catharijne Prize
- 2009 David de Wied lecture
- 2009 Fellow of the Netherlands Royal Academy of Sciences
- 2010 Distinguished University Professor of International Health Sciences and Global Health, Utrecht University
- 2016 Honorary Fellow, Indonesian Heart Association
- 2016 Romanian Society of Cardiology
- 2017 Knight. Order of the Dutch Lion
Research Output (1712)
Williams Victor, Onwuchekwa Chukwuemeka, Vos Alinda G, Grobbee Diederick E, Otwombe Kennedy, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin 30 Sep 2022, In: Global Health Action. 15 , p. 1-11
Lamptey Roberta, Robben Maud P, Amoakoh-Coleman Mary, Boateng Daniel, Grobbee Diederick E, Davies Melanie J, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin Aug 2022, In: Diabetic Medicine. 39
Nonterah Engelbert A, Crowther Nigel J, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, Oduro Abraham R, Kavousi Maryam, Agongo Godfred, Anderson Todd J, Asiki Gershim, Boua Palwendé R, Choma Solomon S R, Couper David J, Engström Gunnar, de Graaf Jacqueline, Kauhanen Jussi, Lonn Eva M, Mathiesen Ellisiv B, Micklesfield Lisa K, Okazaki Shuhei, Polak Joseph F, Rundek Tatjana, Salonen Jukka T, Tollman Stephen M, Tuomainen Tomi-Pekka, Grobbee Diederick E, Ramsay Michéle, Bots Michiel L, 25 Jul 2022, In: Journal of the American Heart Association. 11
Marzà-Florensa A, Drotos E, Gulayin P, Grobbee D E, Irazola V, Klipstein-Grobusch K, Vaartjes I 8 Jun 2022, In: Global Heart. 17 , p. 1-21
Williams Victor, Vos Alinda, Otwombe Kennedy, Grobbee Diederick E, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin 1 Jun 2022, In: BMJ Open. 12 , p. 1-8 26 p.
van den Berg Oda E., Shaddock Erica J., Stacey Sarah L., Feldman Charles, Barth Roos E., Grobbee Diederick E., Venter Willem D.F., Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, Vos Alinda G. 20 May 2022, In: Southern African Journal of HIV Medicine. 23 , p. 1-1
Ali Sam, Kawooya Michael G, Byamugisha Josaphat, Kakibogo Isaac M, Biira Esther A, Kagimu Adia N, Grobbee Diederick E, Zakus David, Papageorghiou Aris T, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, Rijken Marcus J 4 Feb 2022, In: BJOG - An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 129 , p. 1712-1720 9 p.
Housseine Natasha, Rijken Marcus J, Weller Katinka, Nassor Nassra Haroub, Gbenga Kayode, Dodd Caitlin, Debray Thomas, Meguid Tarek, Franx Arie, Grobbee Diederick E, Browne Joyce L Feb 2022, In: EClinicalMedicine. 44 , p. 1-15
Nonterah Engelbert A, Boateng Daniel, Crowther Nigel J, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, Oduro Abraham R, Agongo Godfred, Mohamed Shukri F, Boua Palwendé R, Choma Solomon S R, Norris Shane A, Tollman Stephen M, Bots Michiel L, Ramsay Michèle, Grobbee Diederick 2022, In: JAMA network open. 5 , p. 1-13
Banerjee Amitava, Pasea Laura, Chung Sheng-Chia, Direk Kenan, Asselbergs Folkert, Grobbee Diederick E, Kotecha Dipak, Anker Stefan D, Dyszynski Tomasz, Tyl Benoît, Denaxas Spiros, Lumbers R Thomas, Hemingway Harry 30 Dec 2021, In: European Journal of Heart Failure. 24 , p. 466-480 15 p.