dr. C.W. Helsper
- Department of General Practice
- Julius Center Research Program Cancer
Research coordinator: oncology in primary care - research projects;
- Dickens: duration of the diagnostic pathway & potential to improve
- ABE: case finding of increased cancer risk - ovarian cancer
- Risk perception and policy among GPs in different stages of their career
Shared decision making (SDM)
- GRIP - the effects of SDM support by GPs after a cancer diagnosis
- Choose Wisely - a qualitative exploration of optimal support by the GP in SDM
Structured primary care guidance during and after treatment
- GRIP I (RCT) - Effects of strutured primary care guidance during cancer treatment
- GRIP II - Optimal implementation of strutured primary care guidance during cancer treatment
- Blanket (RCT) - Effects of treatment of fear of cancer recurrence in primary care
Lecturer at GP-specialty training and Utrecht University
- Evidence Based Medicine in clinical pratice
- Primary care oncology
- Teach the teachrer programs
- MD: with a background in General practice (AIOTHO)
- PhD: casefinding strategies for hepatitis C infection
- MSc: Clinical Epidemiology
Charles Helsper was born on the 9th of March 1980 in Pullman Washington (USA). After graduating from the Atheneum at the ‘Bisschop Bekkers College’ in Eindhoven and the first year of Health Sciences at Maastricht University, he studied Medicine at Utrecht University. During these studies he developed an interest for both the practice and research of primary care and prevention.
To put this interest into practice he combined the GP-specialty training with a PhD programme at the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care at the Utrecht Medical Center. His PhD programme addressed identification strategies for hepatitis C infection from a primary care point of view.
During this combined programme he also successfully finished a Prestige Master in Epidemiology, worked as a lecturer at the GP specialty training, at Utrecht University and as an invited lecturer at the Centre for Research in Evidence-Based Practice at Bond University (Australia).
Currently he is working as a senior researcher at the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, with a focus on cancer in primary care. In addition, he works at the Utrecht GP specialty training and Utrecht University, with a main focus on improving the use and education of scientific evidence in primary care practice.
THINC. Advisor - The Health Care Innovation Centre
THINC (The Healthcare Innovation Center)., as part of the UMC Utrecht Julius Center, contributes to the continuous development of scientific knowledge at the service of healthcare innovation. We combine state of the art scientific expertise in the fields of HTA (Health Technology Assessment), clinical epidemiology, public health, ethics, primary care and implementation. From the early innovation stages THINC can inform innovators on the anticipated working mechanism (causal pathways), usability, validity and (cost-effectiveness). THINC aims at a broad range of healthcare innovations including medical technology, devices, mHealth, eHealth and care pathways.
Fellowship and Awards
- SBOH academiseringsprijs - artikel: Primary care management of women with breast cancer-related concerns-a dynamic cohort study using a network database. Sollie A, Helsper CW, Ader RJ, Ausems MG, van der Wouden JC, Numans ME. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2016 Nov;25(6):1005-1014
- Academic GP Award 2012. Utrechtse prijs academische huisartsgeneeskunde. Universitair medisch centrum Utrecht
- Future Research Star Award 2010. European Society for Primary Care Gastroenterology
Research Output (33)
Noteboom Eveline A, Perfors Ietje A A, May Anne M, Stegmann Mariken E, Duijts Saskia F A, Visserman Ella A, Vivian Engelen, Richel Carol, van der Wall Elsken, de Wit Niek, Helsper Charles W 8 dec 2020, In: BJGP Open.
Helsper Charles W, Campbell Christine, Emery Jon, Neal Richard D, Li Li, Rubin Greg, van Weert Henk, Vedsted Peter, Walter Fiona M, Weller David, Nekhlyudov Larissa 7 jul 2020, In: European Journal of Cancer Care. 29
van Erp N. F., Helsper C. W., Slottje P., Brandenbarg D., Büchner F. L., van Asselt K. M., Muris J. W.M., Kortekaas M. F., Peeters P. H.M., de Wit N. J. jun 2020, In: United European Gastroenterology Journal. 8 , p. 607-620 14 p.
van Erp Nicole, Helsper Charles, Olyhoek Saskia, Janssen Ramon, Winsveen Amber, Peeters Petra, de Wit N. J. 4 apr 2020, In: Huisarts en Wetenschap. 63 , p. 14-17 4 p.
Noteboom Eveline A., De Wit Niek J., Van Asseldonk Ingrid J. E. M., Janssen Monique C. A. M., Lam-Wong Wai Yee, Linssen Rob H. P. J., Pepels Manon J. A. E., Schrama Natascha A. W. P., Trompper Marielle E. H., Veldhuizen L. Maaike, Wijtvliet Anne P., Zeldenrust Ed G. F., Hendrikx Ans M., Van de Boomen Wil A., Elbersen Dorothe M., Jacobs Esther M. G., Van der Wall Elsken, Helsper Charles W. 16 nov 2019, In: Journal of cancer survivorship : research and practice. 14 , p. 9-13 5 p.
Funston Garth, Van Melle Marije, Baun Marie-Louise Ladegaard, Jensen Henry, Helsper Charles, Emery Jon, Crosbie Emma J., Thompson Matthew, Hamilton Willie, Walter Fiona M. 1 nov 2019, In: BMC Cancer. 19
van Erp Nicole F, Helsper Charles W, Olyhoek Saskia M, Janssen Ramon R T, Winsveen Amber, Peeters Petra H M, de Wit Niek J 1 sep 2019, In: Annals of Family Medicine. 17 , p. 419-427 9 p.
Perfors Ietje A. A., May Anne M., Boeijen Josi A., de Wit Niek J., van der Wall Elsken, Helsper Charles W. 14 apr 2019, In: BMJ Open. 9
van Erp Nicole Felice, Helsper Charles, Peeters Petra, de Wit Niek 1 feb 2019, In: Huisarts en Wetenschap. 62 , p. 12-16 5 p.
Luigjes-Huizer Yvonne L, van der Lee Marije L, de Wit Niek J, Helsper Charles W 2019, In: BMJ Open. 9