prof. dr. A.M. (Anne M.) May
prof. dr. A.M. (Anne M.) May
- Department of Epidemiology
- Julius Center Research Program Cancer
Anne May obtained her Master’s degree in Sciences of Human Movement (with distinction) at the Free University in Amsterdam in 2001. She obtained her Master of Science degree in Epidemiology at the Netherlands Institute of Health Sciences, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam in August 2006.
From June 2001 to December 2002 she worked as a (Sport-)Nutrition Scientist at Numico Research BV in Wageningen.
Anne May is involved in research regarding lifestyle, body composition, diet and cancer since 2003. From 2003-2007 she conducted her PhD research on the effects of physical exercise and cognitive-behavioural therapy in cancer patients at the University Medical Center Utrecht (UMCU), Julius Center. After completing her PhD, she continued working at the Julius Center. She is currently head of the department of epidemiology and works as Professor of Clinical Epidemiology of Cancer Survivorship. Her research focuses on optimal survivorship care for patients living with cancer with an emphasis on lifestyle interventions – from translational and clinical research to patient care. She is especially interested in effects of exercise in cancer patients, in the mediators of the effect and also in methodological aspects related to exercise-oncology research. For the latter she received a VENI grant from ZonMw (i.e., personal grant for outstanding researchers) entitled 'Novel research design and methodology for evaluating effects of physical exercise in patients with cancer’.
She is the PI of several ongoing (inter)national multi-center exercise-oncology RCTs (PREFERABLE (H2020-funded), PACT, PERFECT, UMBRELLA-FIT and PAM). Moreover, she is the UMCU PI of the SCOPE project (‘Lean body mass and treatment toxicity in patients with colon cancer’). She is also part of the research team of several cancer patient cohorts: PLCRC (colorectal cancer), UMBRELLA (breast cancer) and UNICIT (patients receiving immunotherapy) and is responsible for patient-reported outcomes and assessment of muscle mass. Last, she is involved in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study and was the scientific coordinator of an EC-funded research project investigating the relationship between physical activity, nutrition, alcohol, smoking, eating out of home and obesity (EPIC-PANACEA).
- Chair of the Scientific Committee of KiKa (“Stichting Kinderkanker vrij”/"Children Cancer-free Foundation", http://www.kika.nl/onderzoeken-kika/voor-onderzoekers/)
- Member of the ASCO Guideline Panel "Diet, Physical Activity, and Weight Managment During Cancer Treatment"
- Member of the World Cancer Research Fund International (WCRF) grant panel (https://www.wcrf.org/int/research-we-fund/grant-programmes/research-grant-programme-panel)
- Member of the programm committee of The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMw): KPHAG (Kennisprogramma Huisartsgeneeskunde)
- Attendee of the 2018 International Multidisciplinary Roundtable on Exercise and Cancer Prevention and Control convened by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Member committee "2017 Physical activity guidelines" of the Health Council of the Netherlands
Fellowship and Awards
- Coordinator of the H2020 funded international PREFERABLE Project (Exercise for Fatigue Eradication in Advanced Breast cancer to improve quality of life) - https://www.h2020preferable.eu/
- ZonMw VENI grant “Novel research design and methodology for evaluating effects of physical exercise in patients with cancer” (2014)
- Selected for the female leadership programme “Steyn Parve” (UMC Utrecht)
Research Output (202)
van Vulpen J K, Hiensch A E, van Hillegersberg R, Ruurda J P, Backx F J G, Nieuwenhuijzen G A P, Kouwenhoven E A, Groenendijk R P R, van der Peet D L, Hazebroek E J, Rosman C, Wijnhoven B P L, van Berge Henegouwen Mark I, van Laarhoven H W M, Siersema PD, May A M 10 apr 2021, In: British Journal of Surgery. 108 , p. 786-796 11 p.
Wensink Emerens, Bond Marinde, Kucukkose Emre, May Anne, Vink Geraldine, Koopman Miriam, Kranenburg Onno, Roodhart Jeanine apr 2021, In: Cancer Treatment Reviews. 95 12 p.
Suijkerbuijk K P M, May A M, van Eijs M J M 29 mrt 2021, In: Annals of oncology : official journal of the European Society for Medical Oncology. 32 , p. 935-935 1 p.
van der Veen Arjen, Brenkman Hylke J F, Seesing Maarten F J, Haverkamp Leonie, Luyer Misha D P, Nieuwenhuijzen Grard A P, Stoot Jan H M B, Tegels Juul J W, Wijnhoven Bas P L, Lagarde Sjoerd M, de Steur Wobbe O, Hartgrink Henk H, Kouwenhoven Ewout A, Wassenaar Eelco B, Draaisma Werner A, Gisbertz Suzanne S, van der Peet Donald L, May Anne M, Ruurda Jelle P, van Hillegersberg Richard, 20 mrt 2021, In: Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 39 , p. 978-989 12 p.
Bull Caroline J et al. 17 dec 2020, In: BMC Medicine. 18
Noteboom Eveline A, Perfors Ietje A A, May Anne M, Stegmann Mariken E, Duijts Saskia F A, Visserman Ella A, Vivian Engelen, Richel Carol, van der Wall Elsken, de Wit Niek, Helsper Charles W 8 dec 2020, In: BJGP Open. 5 , p. 1-10 10 p.
Huiskamp Laura F.J., Chargi Najiba, Devriese Lot A., May Anne M., Huitema Alwin D.R., de Bree Remco 23 nov 2020, In: Journal of Clinical medicine. 9 , p. 1-16 16 p.
Verheijden Rik J, May Anne M, Blank Christian U, van der Veldt Astrid A M, Boers-Sonderen Marye J, Aarts Maureen J B, van den Berkmortel Franchette W P J, van den Eertwegh Alfonsus J M, de Groot Jan Willem B, van der Hoeven Jacobus J M, Hospers Geke A P, Piersma Djura, van Rijn Rozemarijn S, Ten Tije Albert J, Vreugdenhil Gerard, van Zeijl Michiel C T, Wouters Michel W J M, Haanen John B A G, Kapiteijn Ellen, Suijkerbuijk Karijn P M nov 2020, In: ESMO open. 5 , p. e000945
Young-Afat Danny A., Gal Roxanne, Gerlich Sophie, Burbach Johannes P.M., van der Velden Joanne M., van den Bongard Desireé H.J.G., Intven Martijn P.W., Kasperts Nicolien, May Anne M., van der Graaf Rieke, van Gils Carla H., Verkooijen Helena M. 31 okt 2020, In: Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 130 , p. 135-142 8 p.
Kilgallen Aoife B, Štibler Urška, Printezi Markella I, Putker Marrit, Punt Cornelis J A, Sluijter Joost P G, May Anne M, van Laake Linda W 21 okt 2020, In: JMIR Research Protocols. 9 , p. 1-6