dr. M.B. Bierings Associate Professor - medical
- SCT patient care
Marc Bierings is a pediatric hematologist. He studied medicine at the University of Utrecht. He subsequently obtained his PhD in Rotterdam on transplacental iron transport (cum laude) and then trained as a pediatrician in Utrecht.
The Dutch Cancer Society then awarded him a fellowship in pediatric hemato-oncology. He worked in the University Hospitals of Tubingen, Germany and Amsterdam to train as a pediatric hemato-oncologist. After finishing his fellowship he became a member of staff at the Utrecht University Children’s Hospital and has been head of the department of pediatric hematology since 2005.
He spent 6 months in the department of hematology at St Louis Hospital, Paris with prof Eliane Gluckman in 2005.
He is also program director of the pediatric stem cell transplantation program, one of 2 such teams in the Netherlands. Within the Dutch Childhood Oncology Group he holds positions as chair of the Fanconi and aplastic anemia groups, the stem cell group and is member of several ALL committees of the DCOG.
His main interests are in the role of allogeneic stem cell transplantation in pediatric malignancies and marrow failure syndromes.
He represents the pediatric oncologists in the Cooperation Board of the Princess Maxima Centre, as a board member of the DCOG.
- Lid Cooperatiebestuur Prinses Maxima Centrum
- Lid Raad van Toezicht SKION
- SKION Protocolcommissie ALL11: lid
- SKION Fanconi anemie commissie: voorzitter
- SKION SAA commissie: voorzitter
- SKION Taakgroep Stamceltransplantatie: voorzitter
- SKION dagen commissie: lid
- Lid redactie Ned Tijdschrift Hematologie
- Bestuurslid Ned Ver Hematologie
- Lid Medische adviesraad Stichting Zeldzame Bloedziekten
Fellowship and Awards
- 1995 - 1997 KWF fellowship