prof. dr. M.L. (Michiel L.) Bots
prof. dr. M.L. (Michiel L.) Bots
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Epidemiology
- Julius Center Research Program Cardiovascular Epidemiology
- In 1986, Michiel Bots received his medical degree at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam. After working as a resident in Gynaecology and Obstetrics, at the Hospital Zonnegloren in Soest and as a resident in Surgery at the Juliana Hospital in Apeldoorn, he started in 1988 his training in cardiovascular epidemiology started at the Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics of the Erasmus University Medical School in Rotterdam.
- In 1993, he obtained his PhD degree on the thesis entitled 'Carotid wall thickness as indicator of generalised atherosclerosis'.
- In 1996 he moved to the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care of the University Medical Center Utrecht in Utrecht.
- Since 1997 he serves as Managing (up to 2001) and Scientific director of Vascular Imaging Center Utrecht, a vascular core laboratory on quantification of structural, dynamic and functional arterial characteristics.
- In 2001 he was appointed associate professor in epidemiology
- Since 2009 he is a professor in the Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease at the University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Since 2013 he is chariman of the steering committe of the Utrecht Cardiovascular Cohort: a multidisciplinary effort with physicians, patients and researchers of the UMC Utrecht, the UCC sets a benchmark for a learning cardiovascular healthcare system. UCC offers an invaluable resource for future high quality care as well as for first-class research for investigators.
His research activities comprise observational studies and clinical trials
- around the development of atherosclerosis, its physiological and environmental risk factors and its consequences. Non-invasive assessment of atherosclerotic abnormalities through imaging in both high risk and low risk populations by measurement of carotid intima-media thickness, carotid plaque, arterial stiffness, coronary calcifications, coronary stenosis and their progression over time are major topics in his studies.
- around uncontrolled hypertension elevated blood pressure and treatment thereof
- around kidney disease and its determinants and therapies, with a main focus on dialysis patients and treatment modalities
- around facts and figure of cardiovascular disease in the Netherlands, with an emphasis on national data obtainable through linkage of registries.
- around the creation of an infrastructure for uniform registration of cardiovascular information in routine clinical practice for patients referred for cardiovascular care at the University Medical Center Utrecht, the Netherlands
His scientific output involves over 750 international peer reviewed publications.
His teaching activities involve
Regular curricular lectures on cardiovascular and general clinical epidemiology for medicine, biomedical and pharmaceutical bachelor and master students.
Coordinator of the annual MSc course 'Cardiovascular Epidemiology' (www.msc-epidemiology.nl)
Coordinator of the annual Blended MSc course ‘Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease’ (https://elearning.elevatehealth.eu/)
Regularly a MSc course 'Clinical Epidemiology' outside the Netherlands (China, Germany, Malaysia)
Advisory board for the working party on ‘Cardiovascular disease: figures and facts’ of the Dutch Heart Foundation,
Fellowship and Awards
Over the years Michiel Bots was involved in national and international collaborations that were successful in obtaining grants proposal from profit (pharmaceutical industry) and non profit organisations (ZonMw, Netherlands Heart Foundation, European Union, Dutch Kidney Foundation, CVON-HF).
Research Output (937)
Bots Michiel L., Rutten Frans H., Westerink Jan 15 okt 2021, In: Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde. 165
Bagheri Ayoub, Groenhof T Katrien J, Asselbergs Folkert W, Haitjema Saskia, Bots Michiel L, Veldhuis Wouter B, de Jong Pim A, Oberski Daniel L 9 jul 2021, In: Journal of healthcare engineering. 2021 11 p.
Poorthuis Michiel H.F., Brand Eelco C., Halliday Alison, Bulbulia Richard, Bots Michiel L., de Borst Gert J. 1 jul 2021, In: Annals of surgery. 274 , p. e107
Groenland Eline H, Bots Michiel L, Asselbergs Folkert W, de Borst Gert J, Kappelle L Jaap, Visseren Frank L J, Spiering Wilko, 1 jul 2021, In: International Journal of Cardiology. 334 , p. 135-141 7 p.
De Vries Tamar Irene, Westerink Jan, Bots Michiel L., Asselbergs Folkert W., Smulders Yvo M., Visseren Frank L.J. 8 mrt 2021, In: BMJ Open. 11 , p. 1-10
Vernooij Robin W M, Law Way, Peters Sanne A E, Canaud Bernard, Davenport Andrew, Grooteman Muriel P C, Kircelli Fatih, Locatelli Francesco, Maduell Francisco, Morena Marion, Nubé Menso J, Ok Ercan, Torres Ferran, Woodward Mark, Blankestijn Peter J, Bots Michiel L, 25 feb 2021, In: BMC Nephrology. 22 , p. 1-9
van 't Klooster Cilie C., van der Graaf Yolanda, Nathoe Hendrik M., Bots Michiel L., de Borst Gert J., Visseren Frank L.J., Leiner Tim, 12 feb 2021, In: The International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging. 37 , p. 2051-2061 11 p.
Nonterah Engelbert A, Crowther Nigel J, Oduro Abraham, Agongo Godfred, Micklesfield Lisa K, Boua Palwendé R, Choma Solomon S R, Mohamed Shukri F, Sorgho Herman, Tollman Stephen M, Norris Shane A, Raal Frederick J, Grobbee Diederick E, Ramsay Michelé, Bots Michiel L, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, 10 feb 2021, In: BMC Medicine. 19 12 p.
Brand Aarent Rt, Houben Eline, Bezemer Irene D, Visseren Frank L J, Bots Michiel L, Herings Ron Mc, de Borst Gert-Jan 20 jan 2021, In: BMJ Open. 11 , p. 1-14
Surendran Praveen, Feofanova Elena V., Lahrouchi Najim, Ntalla Ioanna, Karthikeyan Savita, Cook James, Chen Lingyan, Mifsud Borbala, Yao Chen, Kraja Aldi T., Cartwright James H., Hellwege Jacklyn N., Giri Ayush, Tragante Vinicius, Thorleifsson Gudmar, Liu Dajiang J., Prins Bram P., Stewart Isobel D., Cabrera Claudia P., Eales James M., Akbarov Artur, Auer Paul L., Bielak Lawrence F., Bis Joshua C., Braithwaite Vickie S., Brody Jennifer A., Daw E. Warwick, Warren Helen R., Drenos Fotios, Nielsen Sune Fallgaard, Faul Jessica D., Fauman Eric B., Fava Cristiano, Ferreira Teresa, Foley Christopher N., Franceschini Nora, Gao He, Giannakopoulou Olga, Giulianini Franco, Gudbjartsson Daniel F., Guo Xiuqing, Harris Sarah E., Havulinna Aki S., Helgadottir Anna, van der Harst Pim, Vaartjes Ilonca, Asselbergs Folkert W., Bots Michiel L., van der Harst Pim, van der Meer Peter, , , , , dec 2020, In: Nature Genetics. 52 , p. 1314-1332 19 p.