prof. dr. M.L. (Michiel L.) BotsFull Professor
- Department of Epidemiology
- Julius Center Research Program Cardiovascular Epidemiology
- In 1986, Michiel Bots received his medical degree at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam. After working as a resident in Gynaecology and Obstetrics, at the Hospital Zonnegloren in Soest and as a resident in Surgery at the Juliana Hospital in Apeldoorn, he started in 1988 his training in cardiovascular epidemiology started at the Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics of the Erasmus University Medical School in Rotterdam.
- In 1993, he obtained his PhD degree on the thesis entitled 'Carotid wall thickness as indicator of generalised atherosclerosis'.
- In 1996 he moved to the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care of the University Medical Center Utrecht in Utrecht.
- Since 1997 he serves as Managing (up to 2001) and Scientific director of Vascular Imaging Center Utrecht, a vascular core laboratory on quantification of structural, dynamic and functional arterial characteristics.
- In 2001 he was appointed associate professor in epidemiology
- Since 2009 he is a professor in the Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease at the University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Since 2013 he is chariman of the steering committe of the Utrecht Cardiovascular Cohort: a multidisciplinary effort with physicians, patients and researchers of the UMC Utrecht, the UCC sets a benchmark for a learning cardiovascular healthcare system. UCC offers an invaluable resource for future high quality care as well as for first-class research for investigators.
His research activities comprise observational studies and clinical trials
- around the development of atherosclerosis, its physiological and environmental risk factors and its consequences. Non-invasive assessment of atherosclerotic abnormalities through imaging in both high risk and low risk populations by measurement of carotid intima-media thickness, carotid plaque, arterial stiffness, coronary calcifications, coronary stenosis and their progression over time are major topics in his studies.
- around uncontrolled hypertension elevated blood pressure and treatment thereof
- around kidney disease and its determinants and therapies, with a main focus on dialysis patients and treatment modalities
- around facts and figure of cardiovascular disease in the Netherlands, with an emphasis on national data obtainable through linkage of registries.
- around the creation of an infrastructure for uniform registration of cardiovascular information in routine clinical practice for patients referred for cardiovascular care at the University Medical Center Utrecht, the Netherlands
His scientific output involves over 500 international peer reviewed publications.
His teaching activities involve
- Regular curricular lectures on cardiovascular and general clinical epidemiology for biomedical and pharmaceutical bachelor and master students.
- Coordinator of the annual MSc course 'Cardiovascular Epidemiology' (www.msc-epidemiology.nl)
- Coordinator of the annual Blended MSc course ‘Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease’ (https://elearning.elevatehealth.eu/)
- Regularly a MSc course 'Clinical Epidemiology' outside the Netherlands (China, Germany, Malaysia)
Member Scientific Committee on Senior POSTDOCs grants of the Netherlands Heart Foundation.
Advisory board for the working party on ‘Cardiovascular disease: figures and facts’ of the Dutch Heart Foundation,
Editor of European Journal of Preventive Cardiology.
Editorial board of Journal of Hypertension.
Member Medical Ethics Committee of the UMC Utrecht.
Incidental member on advisory boards of profit organizations on studies into imaging of atherosclerosis progression
Fellowship and Awards
Over the years Michiel Bots was involved in national and international collaborations that were successful in obtaining grants proposal from profit (pharmaceutical industry) and non profit organisations (ZonMw, Netherlands Heart Foundation, European Union, Dutch Kidney Foundation, CVON-HF).
Research Output (909)
Association of Factor V Leiden With Subsequent Atherothrombotic Events:A GENIUS-CHD Study of Individual Participant Data
Mahmoodi Bakhtawar K et al. 11 aug 2020, In: Circulation. 142 , p. 546-555 10 p.
Sex Differences in Symptom Presentation in Acute Coronary Syndromes:A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
van Oosterhout Roos E M, de Boer Annemarijn R, Maas Angela H E M, Rutten Frans H, Bots Michiel L, Peters Sanne A E 5 mei 2020, In: Journal of the American Heart Association. 9 72 p.
A prediction model for one- and three-year mortality in dementia:results from a nationwide hospital-based cohort of 50,993 patients in the Netherlands
van de Vorst Irene E., Golüke Nienke M.S., Vaartjes Ilonca, Bots Michiel L., Koek Huiberdina L. mei 2020, In: Age and ageing. 49 , p. 361-367 7 p.
The relation between healthy lifestyle changes and decrease in systemic inflammation in patients with stable cardiovascular disease
van ’t Klooster C. C., van der Graaf Y., Ridker P. M., Westerink J., Hjortnaes J., Sluijs I., Asselbergs F. W., Bots M. L., Kappelle L. J., Visseren F. L.J., mei 2020, In: Atherosclerosis. 301 , p. 37-43 7 p.
Intracranial atherosclerosis assessed with 7-T MRI:Evaluation of patients with ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack
Lindenholz Arjen, van der Kolk Anja G., van der Schaaf Irene C., van der Worp H. Bart, Harteveld Anita A., Dieleman Nikki, Bots Michiel L., Hendrikse Jeroen apr 2020, In: Radiology. 295 , p. 162-170 9 p.
A systematic review and meta-analysis of complication rates after carotid procedures performed by different specialties
Poorthuis Michiel H.F., Brand Eelco C., Halliday Alison, Bulbulia Richard, Schermerhorn Marc L., Bots Michiel L., de Borst Gert J. 2 mrt 2020, In: Journal of Vascular Surgery. 72 , p. 335-343.e17
Benefits and harms of high-dose haemodiafiltration versus high-flux haemodialysis:the comparison of high-dose haemodiafiltration with high-flux haemodialysis (CONVINCE) trial protocol
Blankestijn Peter J, Fischer Kathrin I, Barth Claudia, Cromm Krister, Canaud Bernard, Davenport Andrew, Grobbee Diederick E, Hegbrant Jörgen, Roes Kit C, Rose Matthias, Strippoli Giovanni Fm, Vernooij Robin Wm, Woodward Mark, de Wit G Ardine, Bots Michiel L 5 feb 2020, In: BMJ Open. 10 9 p.
Progression of conventional cardiovascular risk factors and vascular disease risk in individuals:insights from the PROG-IMT consortium
Bahls Martin, Lorenz Matthias W., Dörr Marcus, Gao Lu, Kitagawa Kazuo, Tuomainen Tomi Pekka, Agewall Stefan, Berenson Gerald, Catapano Alberico L., Norata Giuseppe D., Bots Michiel L., van Gilst Wiek, Asselbergs Folkert W., Brouwers Frank P., Uthoff Heiko, Sander Dirk, Poppert Holger, Hecht Olsen Michael, Empana Jean Philippe, Schminke Ulf, Baldassarre Damiano, Veglia Fabrizio, Franco Oscar H., Kavousi Maryam, de Groot Eric, Mathiesen Ellisiv B., Grigore Liliana, Polak Joseph F., Rundek Tatjana, Stehouwer Coen D.A., Skilton Michael R., Hatzitolios Apostolos I., Savopoulos Christos, Ntaios George, Plichart Matthieu, McLachlan Stela, Lind Lars, Willeit Peter, Steinmetz Helmuth, Desvarieux Moise, Ikram M. Arfan, Johnsen Stein Harald, Schmidt Caroline, Willeit Johann, Ducimetiere Pierre, Price Jackie F., Bergström Göran, Kauhanen Jussi, Kiechl Stefan, Sitzer Matthias, 1 feb 2020, In: European Journal of Preventive Cardiology. 27 , p. 234-243 10 p.
Mortality after hospital admission for heart failure:improvement over time, equally strong in women as in men
Buddeke J, Valstar G B, van Dis I, Visseren F L J, Rutten F H, den Ruijter H M, Vaartjes I, Bots M L, 10 jan 2020, In: BMC Public Health. 20 10 p.
Intracranial Atherosclerotic Burden on 7T MRI Is Associated with Markers of Extracranial Atherosclerosis:The SMART-MR Study
Zwartbol M. H. T., Geerlings M. I., Ghaznawi R., Hendrikse J., van der Kolk A. G., Asselbergs F. W., Nathoe H. M., de Borst G. J., Bots M. L., Emmelot M. H., de Jong P. A., Leiner T., Lely A. T., van der Kaaij N. P., Kappelle L. J., Ruigrok Y. M., Verhaar M. C., Visseren F. L. J., Westerink J., 5 dec 2019, In: American Journal of Neuroradiology. 40 , p. 2016-2022 7 p.