prof. dr. M.L. (Michiel L.) Bots
prof. dr. M.L. (Michiel L.) Bots
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Epidemiology
- Julius Center Research Program Cardiovascular Epidemiology
- In 1986, Michiel Bots received his medical degree at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam. After working as a resident in Gynaecology and Obstetrics, at the Hospital Zonnegloren in Soest and as a resident in Surgery at the Juliana Hospital in Apeldoorn, he started in 1988 his training in cardiovascular epidemiology started at the Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics of the Erasmus University Medical School in Rotterdam.
- In 1993, he obtained his PhD degree on the thesis entitled 'Carotid wall thickness as indicator of generalised atherosclerosis'.
- In 1996 he moved to the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care of the University Medical Center Utrecht in Utrecht.
- Since 1997 he serves as Managing (up to 2001) and Scientific director of Vascular Imaging Center Utrecht, a vascular core laboratory on quantification of structural, dynamic and functional arterial characteristics.
- In 2001 he was appointed associate professor in epidemiology
- Since 2009 he is a professor in the Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease at the University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Since 2013 he is chariman of the steering committe of the Utrecht Cardiovascular Cohort: a multidisciplinary effort with physicians, patients and researchers of the UMC Utrecht, the UCC sets a benchmark for a learning cardiovascular healthcare system. UCC offers an invaluable resource for future high quality care as well as for first-class research for investigators.
His research activities comprise observational studies and clinical trials
- around the development of atherosclerosis, its physiological and environmental risk factors and its consequences. Non-invasive assessment of atherosclerotic abnormalities through imaging in both high risk and low risk populations by measurement of carotid intima-media thickness, carotid plaque, arterial stiffness, coronary calcifications, coronary stenosis and their progression over time are major topics in his studies.
- around uncontrolled hypertension elevated blood pressure and treatment thereof
- around kidney disease and its determinants and therapies, with a main focus on dialysis patients and treatment modalities
- around facts and figure of cardiovascular disease in the Netherlands, with an emphasis on national data obtainable through linkage of registries.
- around the creation of an infrastructure for uniform registration of cardiovascular information in routine clinical practice for patients referred for cardiovascular care at the University Medical Center Utrecht, the Netherlands
His scientific output involves over 750 international peer reviewed publications.
His teaching activities involve
Regular curricular lectures on cardiovascular and general clinical epidemiology for medicine, biomedical and pharmaceutical bachelor and master students.
Coordinator of the annual MSc course 'Cardiovascular Epidemiology' (www.msc-epidemiology.nl)
Coordinator of the annual Blended MSc course ‘Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease’ (https://elearning.elevatehealth.eu/)
Regularly a MSc course 'Clinical Epidemiology' outside the Netherlands (China, Germany, Malaysia)
Advisory board for the working party on ‘Cardiovascular disease: figures and facts’ of the Dutch Heart Foundation,
Fellowship and Awards
Over the years Michiel Bots was involved in national and international collaborations that were successful in obtaining grants proposal from profit (pharmaceutical industry) and non profit organisations (ZonMw, Netherlands Heart Foundation, European Union, Dutch Kidney Foundation, CVON-HF).
Research Output (961)
Nonterah Engelbert A, Crowther Nigel J, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, Oduro Abraham R, Kavousi Maryam, Agongo Godfred, Anderson Todd J, Asiki Gershim, Boua Palwendé R, Choma Solomon S R, Couper David J, Engström Gunnar, de Graaf Jacqueline, Kauhanen Jussi, Lonn Eva M, Mathiesen Ellisiv B, Micklesfield Lisa K, Okazaki Shuhei, Polak Joseph F, Rundek Tatjana, Salonen Jukka T, Tollman Stephen M, Tuomainen Tomi-Pekka, Grobbee Diederick E, Ramsay Michéle, Bots Michiel L, 25 Jul 2022, In: Journal of the American Heart Association. 11
Groenland Eline H., Vendeville Jean Paul, Bots Michiel L., de Borst Gert Jan, Nathoe Hendrik M., Ruigrok Ynte M., Blankestijn Peter J., Visseren Frank L.J., Spiering Wilko Mar 2022, In: PLoS ONE. 17 , p. 1-16
Nijman S. W.J., Leeuwenberg A. M., Beekers I., Verkouter I., Jacobs J.J.L., Bots M. L., Asselbergs F. W., Moons K. G.M., Debray T. P.A. Feb 2022, In: Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 142 , p. 218-229 12 p.
Bijl Rianne C, Cornette Jérôme M J, Vasak Blanka, Franx Arie, Lely A Titia, Bots Michiel L, van Rijn Bas B, Koster Maria P H 12 Jan 2022, In: Journal of Women's Health. 31 , p. 63-70 8 p.
Nonterah Engelbert A, Boateng Daniel, Crowther Nigel J, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, Oduro Abraham R, Agongo Godfred, Mohamed Shukri F, Boua Palwendé R, Choma Solomon S R, Norris Shane A, Tollman Stephen M, Bots Michiel L, Ramsay Michèle, Grobbee Diederick 2022, In: JAMA network open. 5 , p. 1-13
Holthuis Emily I., Visseren Frank L.J., Bots Michiel L., Peters Sanne A.E. 21 Dec 2021, In: Global Heart. 16 , p. 1-12
Nawaz Beenish, Fromm Annette, Øygarden Halvor, Eide Geir E., Saeed Sahrai, Meijer Rudy, Bots Michiel L., Sand Kristin M., Thomassen Lars, Næss Halvor, Waje-Andreassen Ulrike Dec 2021, In: European Stroke Journal. 6 , p. 374-384 11 p.
Bots Michiel L., Rutten Frans H., Westerink Jan 15 Oct 2021, In: Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde. 165
Yurdadogan Tino, Malsch Carolin, Kotseva Kornelia, Wood David, Leyh Rainer, Ertl Georg, Karmann Wolfgang, Müller-Scholden Lara, Morbach Caroline, Breunig Margret, Wagner Martin, Gelbrich Götz, Bots Michiel L., Heuschmann Peter U., Störk Stefan 13 Sep 2021, In: Scientific Reports. 11 , p. 1-10
Poorthuis M. H.F., Morris D. R., De Borst G. J., Bots M. L., Greving J. P., Visseren F. L.J., Sherliker P., Clack R., Clarke R., Lewington S., Bulbulia R., Halliday A. 19 Aug 2021, In: British Journal of Surgery. 108 , p. 960-967 8 p.