prof. dr. D.E. Grobbee
- Department of Epidemiology
- Julius Center Research Program Cardiovascular Epidemiology
Diederick (Rick) E. Grobbee was trained as a medical doctor at Utrecht University. He then conducted PhD research in the field of hypertension at Erasmus University in Rotterdam (12/83-6/1986). After a residency in Internal Medicine, he returned to the Erasmus University as an associate professor and then Full professor of Clinical Epidemiology (1993). In Rotterdam he was responsible for the cardiovascular disease research program of the Department of Epidemiology, and was one of the founders of the Rotterdam Study (www.epib.nl/research/ergo.htm). In 1996 he was appointed professor of Clinical Epidemiology at Utrecht University and founded of the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care (1996), a division of the University Medical Center Utrecht (UMCU) currently employing approximately 500 staff (www.juliuscenter.nl). In 2008 he founded Julius Clinical Ltd., a full service Academic Clinical Research Organization (www.juliusclinical.com) of which he serves as Chief Medical Officer and Statutory Director. At the University Medical Center Utrecht, he just finished his term as the chair of the Center for Circulatory Health at the UMCU governing cardiovascular patient care, research and education. Previous positions include director of the Rotterdam Medical Research Foundation, member of the board of Erasmus University Medical Center, and visiting Associate Professor at Harvard University, Boston. He holds honorary appointments in Sydney and Kuala Lumpur. At Utrecht University he was appointed Distinguished University Professor in 2010.
Rick Grobbee has been a (principal) investigator in many large-scale epidemiologic studies and randomized intervention trials relating to the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular, cardiometabolic, and cardiorenal disease. In addition he works on the principles and methods of treatment research, trial design and (big-) data analysis. In the Netherlands he was member of the supervisory board of the Netherlands Heart Foundation and acted in several roles in committees of the National Research Council (ZonMW). He is chair of the Dutch National Research Agenda (NWA) route "Prevention". He has been listed in the top 100 global most influential biomedical researchers (Eur J Clin Invest 2013 Dec;43(12):1339-65) and has consistently been ranked as highly cited author by Web of Science over the last decades.
Rick Grobbee has been on the editorial boards of several journals and (inter) national scientific, search, and site-visit committees. Current journal roles include editor-in-chief of Global Heart (https://globalheartjournal.com/), senior consulting editor of the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology of which he served as editor-in-chief for eight years. He is immediate past-president of the European Association for Preventive Cardiology and member of the board of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and chair of the ESC Global Affairs Committee. He is member of the board of the World Heart Federation Rick Grobbee is fellow of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences and served as the chair of its Medical Section and Advisory Council for the Medical Sciences. He is honorary fellow of the Indonesian Heart Association and of the Romanian Society of Cardiology. In recent years his attention has increasingly been directed towards global circulatory health (www.globalhealth.eu ), and on-line education for which he founded Elevate, a platform providing global post graduate courses, masters programs and eductional consultancy (www.elevatehealth.eu ). Rick Grobbee was a recipient of a 2019 NWO Gravitation Award "Exposomics" and current coordinator of three EU grants. In 2017 he was knighted by the Dutch King (Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion). To date, Prof. Grobbee has authored or co-authored over 1,300 scientific papers (PubMed), chapters, and books, and has supervised more than 150 PhD fellows. His Hirsch index (Web of Science) is 151.
- Chief Scientific Officer and Statutory Director, Julius Clinical Ltd. Academic Clinical Research Organization (0.5 Fte)
- Director, Utrecht University MSc and PhD in Epidemiology Programmes
- Chair ("Boegbeeld"), National Research Agenda (NWA) Route Health Research, Prevention and Treatment
- Member, Board of Studies, Graduate School Life Sciences, Utrecht University
- Fellow, Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences
- Fellow, European Society of Cardiology
- Member, Board, European Society of Cardiology
- Member, Board, World Heart Federation
- Chair, Global Affairs Committee, European Society of Cardiology
- Member, Practice Guidelines Committee, European Society of Cardiology
- Past-President, European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation
- Member Executive Board, European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation
- Chair, International Scientific Advisory Board, BBMRI (Biobanking Netherlands)
- Editor in Chief, Global Heart
- Senior Consulting Editor, European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation
- Member, Editorial Board Netherlands Journal of Medicine
- Member, Editorial Board, Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports
- Member, Editorial Board Cardiovascular Risk
- Member, Various Scientific Advisory, Safety Monitoring en Adjudication Committees International Clinical Trials
Fellowship and Awards
- 2008 Prevention award. German Society of Cardiology
- 2008 Catharijne Prize
- 2009 David de Wied lecture
- 2009 Fellow of the Netherlands Royal Academy of Sciences
- 2010 Distinguished University Professor of International Health Sciences and Global Health, Utrecht University
- 2016 Honorary Fellow, Indonesian Heart Association
- 2016 Romanian Society of Cardiology
- 2017 Knight. Order of the Dutch Lion
Research Output (1664)
van der Graaf R, van Dijk Wouter, Laurijssen Sara J M, Schuit Ewoud, Grobbee DE, de Vries Martine C jan 2021, In: The American Journal of Bioethics. 21 , p. 14-16 3 p.
Amoakoh Hannah Brown, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, Agyepong Irene Akua, Amoakoh-Coleman Mary, Kayode Gbenga A, Reitsma J B, Grobbee Diederick E, Ansah Evelyn K 27 dec 2020, In: BMC Pediatrics. 20 , p. 1471-2431 960 p.
Olanrewaju Timothy Olusegun, Aderibigbe Ademola, Popoola Ademola Alabi, Braimoh Kolawole Thomas, Buhari Mikhail Olayinka, Adedoyin Olanrewaju Timothy, Kuranga Sulyman Alege, Biliaminu Sikiru Abayomi, Chijioke Adindu, Ajape Abdulwahab Akanbi, Grobbee Diederick E, Blankestijn Peter J, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, dec 2020, In: BMC Nephrology. 21
Ketelaar E J, Vos A G, Godijk N G, Scheuermaier K, Devillé W, Tempelman H, Coutinho R A, Venter W D F, Grobbee D E, Klipstein-Grobusch K 25 nov 2020, In: Global Heart. 15
Hehakaya Charisma, Van der Voort van Zyp Jochem R, Lagendijk Jan J W, Grobbee Diederick E, Verkooijen Helena M, Moors Ellen H M 2 sep 2020, In: Frontiers in oncology. 10 11 p.
Soesanti Frida, Idris Nikmah S, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, Hendarto Aryono, Grobbee Diederick E, Uiterwaal Cuno S P M 20 aug 2020, In: BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 20
Mahmoodi Bakhtawar K et al. 11 aug 2020, In: Circulation. 142 , p. 546-555 10 p.
Zhao Min, Hoek Gerard, Strak MacIej, Grobbee Diederick E., Graham Ian, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, Vaartjes Ilonca 6 aug 2020, In: Global Heart. 15
Dekker Mirthe, Waissi Farahnaz, van Bennekom Joelle, Silvis Max J M, Timmerman Nathalie, Bank Ingrid E M, Walter Joan E, Mueller Christian, Schoneveld A H, Schiffelers Raymond M, Pasterkamp Gerard, Grobbee Diederick E, de Winter Robbert J, Mosterd A, de Kleijn Dominique P V, Timmers Leo 23 jul 2020, In: Scientific Reports. 10 8 p.
Waissi Farahnaz, Dekker Mirthe, Bank Ingrid E M, Korporaal Suzanne J A, Urbanus Rolf T, de Borst Gert J, Pasterkamp Gerard, Scholtens Asbjorn M, Grobbee Diederick E, Mosterd Arend, de Kleijn Dominique P V, Timmers Leo jul 2020, In: Research and practice in thrombosis and haemostasis. 4 , p. 879-885 7 p.