prof. dr. O.W. Kranenburg Full Professor
- Lab Translational Oncology
Onno Kranenburg received his PhD in 1995 from Leiden University (Prof Lex van der Eb). He then studied RAS and RHO small GTPase signaling in cancer in the Netherlands Cancer Institute (Prof Wouter Moolenaar). In 2000 he became senior Post-Doc in the Dept of Medical Oncology in the UMC Utrecht (Prof Emile Voest) where he started his translational studies on the mechanism of action of anti-angiogenic drugs. In 2003 he became Assistant Professor and PI at the Dept. of Surgery (Prof Inne Borel Rinkes) and started to work on the mechanisms of colon cancer metastasis, initially focusing on the role of the K-RAS oncogene. In 2006 he became Associate Professor, head of the Surgery Lab and staff member at the Dept. of Surgery. In 2012 he became coordinator of the PhD research school Clinical and Translational Oncology. In 2015 he was appointed Professor of Surgical and Translational Tumor Biology at the Cancer Center UMC Utrecht where he continues to design and test novel strategies for the prevention and treatment of colon cancer metastasis.
2013-present: Coordinator of the PhD program Clinical and Translational Oncology
2005-present Head Laboratory Translational Oncology
2018-present: chair working group translational research Dutch Colorectal Cancer Group (DCCG)
2018-present: Chair U-PORT
Fellowship and Awards
1. KWF2015-8088. Targeting mesenchymal-tyope colon cancer by aggravating oxidative damage. €573.500.
2. Scope: Modulation of chemotherapy efficacy and toxicity by nutrition in metastatic colorectal cancer. €586.000.
3. ZonMw 2014: PDGF-receptor-targeted therapy for the treatment of poor prognosis mesenchymal-type colon cancer: A window trial. €108.000
4. Gieskes-Strijbis Fonds 2014: The relationship between primary colorectal tumors and their liver metastases: Biological subgroups and therapy response. €290.000
5. Vrienden UMC Utrecht 2013. Title: Targeting colon tumors at their root: Elimination of Cancer Stem Cells. €217.000
6. KWF UU2011-5226 Title: LIMK1 control of CD95 function in colorectal cancer. €553.300
7. KWF UU2011-5135. Suppression of LIMK1 by oncogenic KRAS and RAF1: A critical survival pathway in colorectal cancer? €560.000
8. KWF UU2009-4417. The contribution of CD95 signalling to recurrence of colorectal liver metastases following radiofrequency ablation. €592.100