prof. dr. A.M. (Anne M.) May
prof. dr. A.M. (Anne M.) May
- Department of Epidemiology
- Julius Center Research Program Cancer
Anne May obtained her Master’s degree in Sciences of Human Movement (with distinction) at the Free University in Amsterdam in 2001. She obtained her Master of Science degree in Epidemiology at the Netherlands Institute of Health Sciences, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam in August 2006.
From June 2001 to December 2002 she worked as a (Sport-)Nutrition Scientist at Numico Research BV in Wageningen.
Anne May is involved in research regarding lifestyle, body composition, diet and cancer since 2003. From 2003-2007 she conducted her PhD research on the effects of physical exercise and cognitive-behavioural therapy in cancer patients at the University Medical Center Utrecht (UMCU), Julius Center. After completing her PhD, she continued working at the Julius Center. She is currently head of the department of Epidemiology & Global Health and works as Professor of Clinical Epidemiology of Cancer Survivorship. Her research focuses on optimal survivorship care for patients living with cancer with an emphasis on lifestyle interventions – from translational and clinical research to patient care. She is especially interested in effects of exercise in cancer patients, in the mediators of the effect and also in methodological aspects related to exercise-oncology research. For the latter she received a VENI grant from ZonMw (i.e., personal grant for outstanding researchers) entitled 'Novel research design and methodology for evaluating effects of physical exercise in patients with cancer’.
She is the PI of several ongoing (inter)national multi-center exercise-oncology RCTs (PREFERABLE (H2020-funded), PACT, PERFECT, UMBRELLA-FIT and PAM). Moreover, she is the UMCU PI of the SCOPE project (‘Lean body mass and treatment toxicity in patients with colon cancer’). She is also part of the research team of several cancer patient cohorts: PLCRC (colorectal cancer), UMBRELLA (breast cancer) and UNICIT (patients receiving immunotherapy) and is responsible for patient-reported outcomes and assessment of muscle mass. Last, she is involved in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study and was the scientific coordinator of an EC-funded research project investigating the relationship between physical activity, nutrition, alcohol, smoking, eating out of home and obesity (EPIC-PANACEA).
- Scientific advisor COMPASS Pathways (fees paid to my institution)
- Chair of the Scientific Committee of KiKa (“Stichting Kinderkanker vrij”/"Children Cancer-free Foundation", http://www.kika.nl/onderzoeken-kika/voor-onderzoekers/)
- Member of the ASCO Guideline Panel "Diet, Physical Activity, and Weight Managment During Cancer Treatment"
- Member of the World Cancer Research Fund International (WCRF) grant panel (https://www.wcrf.org/int/research-we-fund/grant-programmes/research-grant-programme-panel)
- Member of the programm committee of The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMw): KPHAG (Kennisprogramma Huisartsgeneeskunde)
- Attendee of the 2018 International Multidisciplinary Roundtable on Exercise and Cancer Prevention and Control convened by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Member committee "2017 Physical activity guidelines" of the Health Council of the Netherlands
Fellowship and Awards
- Coordinator of the HORIZON EUROPE funded international PREFERABLE-II Project: Personalised Exercise-Oncology for improvement of supportive care: a super umbrella trial to demonstrate (cost)effectiveness of live-remote exercise in cancer survivors
- Coordinator of the H2020 funded international PREFERABLE Project (Exercise for Fatigue Eradication in Advanced Breast cancer to improve quality of life) - https://www.h2020preferable.eu/
- ZonMw VENI grant “Novel research design and methodology for evaluating effects of physical exercise in patients with cancer” (2014)
- Selected for the female leadership programme “Steyn Parve” (UMC Utrecht)
Research Output (222)
Bond Marinde J.G., Hamers Patricia A.H., Vink Geraldine R., van Grevenstein Wilhelmina M.U., Laclé Miangela M., van Smeden Maarten, Koopman Miriam, Roodhart Jeanine M.L., Punt Cornelis J.A., May Anne M. 2022, In: Acta Oncologica. 61 , p. 560-565 6 p.
Groen Wim G, Naaktgeboren Willeke R, van Harten Wim H, van Vulpen Jonna K, Kool Nathalie, Sonke Gabe S, van der Wall Elsken, Velthuis Miranda J, Aaronson Neil K, May Anne M, Stuiver Martijn M 27 Dec 2021, In: Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 54 , p. 537-542 6 p.
Aleksandrova Krasimira, Reichmann Robin, Kaaks Rudolf, Jenab Mazda, Bueno-de-Mesquita H Bas, Dahm Christina C, Eriksen Anne Kirstine, Tjønneland Anne, Artaud Fanny, Boutron-Ruault Marie-Christine, Severi Gianluca, Hüsing Anika, Trichopoulou Antonia, Karakatsani Anna, Peppa Eleni, Panico Salvatore, Masala Giovanna, Grioni Sara, Sacerdote Carlotta, Tumino Rosario, Elias Sjoerd G, May Anne M, Borch Kristin B, Sandanger Torkjel M, Skeie Guri, Sánchez Maria-Jose, Huerta José María, Sala Núria, Gurrea Aurelio Barricarte, Quirós José Ramón, Amiano Pilar, Berntsson Jonna, Drake Isabel, van Guelpen Bethany, Harlid Sophia, Key Tim, Weiderpass Elisabete, Aglago Elom K, Cross Amanda J, Tsilidis Konstantinos K, Riboli Elio, Gunter Marc J Dec 2021, In: BMC Medicine. 19 , p. 1-19
Derksen Jeroen W G, Vink Geraldine R, Elferink Marloes A G, Roodhart Jeanine M L, Verkooijen Helena M, van Grevenstein Wilhelmina M U, Siersema Peter D, May Anne M, Koopman Miriam, Dec 2021, In: Scientific Reports. 11 , p. 1-12
Vd Wiel Hester J, Stuiver Martijn M, May Anne M, van Grinsven Susan, Benink Marlou F A, Aaronson Neil K, Oldenburg Hester S A, van der Poel Henk G, van Harten Wim H, Groen Wim G 5 Oct 2021, In: JMIR Cancer. 7
Naaktgeboren Willeke R, Binyam David, Stuiver Martijn M, Aaronson Neil K, Teske Arco J, van Harten Wim H, Groen Wim G, May Anne M 2 Sep 2021, In: Journal of the American Heart Association. 10 , p. 1-23
Gal Roxanne, Monninkhof Evelyn M, van Gils Carla H, Groenwold Rolf H H, Elias Sjoerd G, van den Bongard Desirée H J G, Peeters Petra H M, Verkooijen Helena M, May Anne M 24 Aug 2021, In: Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 190 , p. 89-101 13 p.
van de Wiel H J, Stuiver M M, May A M, van Grinsven S, Aaronson N K, Oldenburg H S A, van der Poel H G, Koole S N, Retèl V P, van Harten W H, Groen W G 1 Aug 2021, In: Cancers. 13
Verweij M., Burbach M., Gal R., May A., van der Graaf R., Intven M., Verkooijen L. Aug 2021, In: Radiotherapy and Oncology. 161 , p. S1218-S1219
Derksen Jeroen W G, May Anne M, van de Poll-Franse Lonneke V, de Rooij Belle H, Hafkenscheid Dorothee A, Verkooijen Helena M, Koopman Miriam, Vink Geraldine R Aug 2021, In: JNCI cancer spectrum. 5 , p. 1-11