prof. dr. T.R.D.J. (Timothy ) Radstake
- Rheumatology & Clinical Immunology
Timothy Radstake MD, Ph.D. attended medical school at the Radboud University in Nijmegen the Netherlands where he graduated in 2000. He next performed his PhD on the genetic factors that determine the susceptibility to Rheumatoid arthritis and the role of dendritic cells in this conditions that he finished in 2003 under the supervision of Professors van Riel and van den Berg.
Soon after that he started his own research line on translational rheumatology with the ultimate aim to translate clinical problems to novel therapeutic targets. Although starting his research in rheumatoid arthritis, over the years his group investigated a broader spectrum of rheumatic conditions including psoriatic arthritis and systemic sclerosis. From 2007 – 2008 prof. Radstake did a post-doctoral fellowship on the department of rheumatology at the Boston University School of Medicine (prof. R. Lafyatis) where he held a chair until 2014.
From March 2012 he holds the chair on translational immunology at the UMC Utrecht were his research team, comprising roughly 40 fte, focuses on a systems medicine approach with the ultimate goal to achieve personalized health care on the basis of molecular taxonomy rather that clinical diagnosis. For this program he is involved in multiple efforts of the European Union with the aim to push the Systems Medicine forward in medicine in general. A side to his clinical work and role as director of the Utrecht Infection & Immunity FOCIS center of excellence, he is current involved as an entrepreneur in multiple projects to bring potential therapeutic targets to the market, anti-CXCL4 as a novel therapeutic entry-point for scleroderma being the most progressed.
Europe-based Senior Editor, Expert reviews of clinical Immunology (2012-2015).
Associate Editor, Arthritis and Rheumatology (2015-2018)
Scientific / societal Committees
Member of Executive Board of European Association of Systems Medcine. CASYM (Coordinated Action Systems Medicine), EU FP7 Framework program. February 2015 - 2017
Member Scientific Advisory Board ERACoSysMed (European Research projects to demonstrate the feasibility and benefits of Systems Medicine). CASYM, EU, November 2014 – 2018
Advisory board member program translational research, ZonMW 2013 - 2018
Advisory board member committees Basic & translational, Dutch Arthritis foundation 2013-2015.
Medical Advisory board Dutch association of Lupus and scleroderma (NVLE) (2012-current)
Board member Dutch society of Rheumatology, section public relations (2012-2015)
Executive member Steering committee CORT (center of translation research grant, NIH), Boston University School of medicine (2011-2017)
Principal investigator (initiator) of the European consortium on genetic factors in SSc
Scientific Steering Committee Dutch Rheumatology association. (2009-current)
Steering Committee International Myositis genetics Consortium (MYOGEN). (2006-current)
Reviewer for journals:
Blood, Journal of Leukocyte biology, Annals of Human Genetics, Arthritis and Rheumatism, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Annals of Rheumatic Diseases, BioMed Central, Journal of Rheumatology, Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, Cytokine, Journal of cell biology and Immunology, Arthritis Research & Therapy, Expert Review of Clinical Immunology, The European journal of Pharmacology, Tissue Antigens, Tissue Antigens, Journal of Immunology, FEBS Letters, Nature Medicine, Nature Reviews Immunology
Reviewer for Grants:
Dutch Arthritis Association, Scottish Executive Health Department, Arthritis Research Campaign, NWO (The Dutch Organisation for Scientific Research), Stichting MS Research, Swiss foundation for Rheumatic Research. Irish Arthritis Research Campaign.
Fellowship and Awards
Scholarships and prizes
- Distinguished EMBO award, European Summer School on Systems Medicine, June 2015, Stockholm, Sweden.
- October 2006, Niels Stensen Stipendium for post-doctoral fellowship, Boston University, Boston, USA.
- September 2006, Ter Meulen Stipendium (KNAW) for post-doctoral fellowship, Boston University, Boston, USA.
- September 2005, Professor Dr. J. Goslings prize, for the work entiteled “Rheumatoid arthritis: elucidation of genetic factors and the role of dendritic cells in the disease pathogenesis”, Dutch Association of Rheumatology.
- August 2005, Young Investigator Award, International Association of Inflammation Societies (IAIS), Melbourne, Australia. “Joint damage and Dendritic cell function during rheumatoid arthritis is strictly controlled by Fc gamma receptor IIb”.
- September 2004, Research grant Dr. Ludgardne foundation. For the research proposal: “Elucidation of the critical pathways which regulate the expression of inhibitory FcgRII on dendritic cells in healthy controls and patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)”.
- June 2003, Young Investigator Award, European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR). For the research proposal: “Toll-like receptors, endogenous ligands and the inflammatory circle of arthritis”. Lissabon, Portugal 2003.
- June 2002, Young Investigator Award, European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR). For the research proposal: “Dendritic cells and the pathogenesis of Rheumatoid arthritis”. Stockholm, Sweden 2002.
- Veni Laureate; The Toll of infections and the breakdown of tolerance in autoimmune diseases. 2006 – 2008.
- VIDI Laureate; Closing in on cross talk between Toll-like and Fc gamma receptors to battle autoimmune diseases. 2008 – 2012. Budget.
- ERC Laureate (starting grant); Harnessing Dendritic cells to Attenuate fibrosis and restore tolerance in Systemic Sclerosis (Circumvent). 2011 – 2015
- Zenith Laureate; Closing in on defective telomere function in systemic sclerosis; novel avenues to predict prognosis and personalize treatment. 2011 – 2014
Research Output (341)
Kleinrensink Nienke J, Foppen Wouter, Ten Katen Iris, van der Veen Pieternella H, de Klerk Bo, Diepstraten Suzanne C E, Radstake Timothy R D J, Lafeber Floris P J G, de Jong Pim A, Leijten Emmerik F A 3 dec 2020, In: RMD Open. 6
Carvalheiro Tiago, Lopes Ana P, van der Kroef Maarten, Malvar-Fernandez Beatriz, Rafael-Vidal Carlos, Hinrichs Anneline C, Servaas Nila H, Bonte-Mineur Femke, Kok Marc R, Beretta Lorenzo, Zimmermann Maili, Marut Wioleta, Pego-Reigosa Jose M, Radstake Timothy R D J, Garcia Samuel 2 dec 2020, In: International journal of molecular sciences. 21 , p. 1-10 10 p.
Wennink Roos A.W., Pandit Aridaman, Haasnoot Anne Mieke J.W., Hiddingh Sanne, Kalinina Ayuso Viera, Wulffraat Nico M., Vastert Bas J., Radstake Timothy R.D.J., de Boer Joke H., Kuiper Jonas J.W. 17 sep 2020, In: Frontiers in Immunology. 11
Silva-Cardoso Sandra C., Tao Weiyang, Angiolilli Chiara, Lopes Ana P., Bekker Cornelis P. J., Devaprasad Abhinandan, Giovannone Barbara, van Laar Jaap, Cossu Marta, Marut Wioleta, Hack Erik, de Boer Rob J., Boes Marianne, Radstake Timothy R. D. J., Pandit Aridaman 17 sep 2020, In: Frontiers in Immunology. 11
Carvalheiro Tiago, Garcia Samuel, Pascoal Ramos M. Inês, Giovannone Barbara, Radstake Timothy R.D.J., Marut Wioleta, Meyaard Linde 19 aug 2020, In: Frontiers in Immunology. 11 13 p.
van der Kroef Maarten, Carvalheiro Tiago, Rossato Marzia, de Wit Floor, Cossu Marta, Chouri Eleni, Wichers Catharina G.K., Bekker Cornelis P.J., Beretta Lorenzo, Vazirpanah Nadia, Trombetta Elena, Radstake Timothy R.D.J., Angiolilli Chiara jul 2020, In: Journal of Autoimmunity. 111
Hillen Maarten R, Urso Katia, Koppe Emma, Lopes Ana Pinheiro, Blokland Sofie L M, Pandit Aridaman, Slocombe Tom, van Maurik André, van Roon Joel A G, Radstake Timothy R D J jul 2020, In: RMD Open. 6 5 p.
Silva-Cardoso Sandra C, Tao Weiyang, Fernández Beatriz Malvar, Boes Marianne, Radstake Timothy R D J, Pandit Aridaman 5 jun 2020, In: European Journal of Immunology. 50 , p. 1598-1601 4 p.
van der Heijden Eefje Hanna Martine, Blokland Sofie Liny Marie, Hillen Maarten Reinier, Lopes Ana Paula Pinheiro, van Vliet-Moret Fréderique Marie, Rosenberg Antoine Johan Wilhelm Peter, Janssen Nard Gabriëlle, Welsing Paco Mattheus Jacobus, Iannizzotto Valentina, Tao Weiyang, Pandit Aridaman, Barone Francesca, Kruize Aike Albert, Radstake Timothy Ruben Dirk Jan, van Roon Joel Adrianus Gijsbert mei 2020, In: The Lancet Rheumatology. 2 , p. e260-e269 10 p.
Laban Kamil G., Rijken Rianne, Hiddingh Sanne, Mertens Jorre S., van der Veen Rob L.P., Eenhorst Christine A.E., Pandit Aridaman, Radstake Timothy R.D.J., de Boer Joke H., Kalmann Rachel, Kuiper Jonas J.W. apr 2020, In: European Journal of Immunology. 50 , p. 548-557 10 p.