prof. dr. J.P.G. (Joost P.G.) Sluijter Full Professor
- Onderzoek Cardiovasculair Reg. Med.
Since March 2008, Joost Sluijter is leading a research group in the University Medical Center Utrecht (UMCU) that is focused on cardiac regeneration. We focus on different approaches that can lead to improved recovery and diagnosis of cardiac tissue upon injury. The main theme reflect the improvement of progenitor cell transplantation therapy by genetic (microRNA) or pharmacological approaches to improve cell survival, optimize cell delivery techniques, improve cell culture conditions and visualization of transplanted cells via MRI, BLI or nuclear labeling. The applicant started to study the use of exosomes to induce cardiac repair in recent years, thereby focusing on paracrine signaling of transplanted cells and their potential effectors. His enthusiasm for introducing innovative molecular approaches, and his wide experiences in progenitor cell biology and preclinical animal model testing for cardiac injury, is aimed for a quick translation from basic discoveries to preclinical testing in patient relevant animal models.
-Nucleus member working group on Cellular Biology of the Heart (European Society of Cardiology)
- Immediate past-Chair working group on Cellular Biology of the Heart (European Society of Cardiology)
- Board member of the Council on Basic Cardiovascular Science (European Society of Cardiology)
- Associate editor of Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research
- Associate Editor Discovery Biology and Medicine
- Editorial Board member of Non-coding RNA Investigation
- Scientific reviewer for journal (selected): Arterioslerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular biology (ATVB), American Journal of Physiology, British Journal of Pharmacology, Cardiovascular research (Card Res), Circulation (Circ), Circulation research (Circ Res), Clinical Science, Current Pharmaceutical Design, European Heart Journal (EHJ), Journal of the American College of Cardiology (JACC), Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine (JCMM), New England Journal of Medicine (NEJoM), Physiological Genomics, Plos One, Stem Cells International, Science.
- Scientific reviewer for grant providers (selected): Dutch Heart Foundation, NWO, Foundation de Cooperation Scientifique Campus Paris Saclay (FCS, France), Health and Medical Research Fund (China), Danish Council for Independent Research, National Center of Science and Technology Evaluation (Kazachstan), Medical Research Council (UK), Sir Henry Dale Fellowship (UK), Science foundation of Ireland
- Lecturer teaching program of undergraduate students at the Faculty of Medicine, Utrecht University.
- University Utrecht - advisory board for ERC Starting and consolidator Grant-candidates
- Advisory Board van de Graduate School of Life Sciences University Utrecht
Fellowship and Awards
2004-2005 Interuniversity Institute of the Netherlands (ICIN)-fellowship
2007-2009 Novartis Foundation for Cardiovascular Excellence Grant
2008-2009 van Ruyvenstichting
2009-2012 UMC Utrecht focus and mass area “cardiovascular research”
2011-2015 Translationeel Adult Stamcelonderzoek:
2012-2017 HUMAN STem cells for CArdiac REpair (HUSTCARE)
2014-2018 LSH Impuls: MIGRATE
2015-2017: BMM Smartcare2 – Smart microtissues for cardiac regeneration
2015-2019: Horizon 2020 – TECHNOBEAT (PHC-16-2015)
2015-2018: CAS-NWO Program; Cardiac cell therapy in a preclinical animal model for hereditary cardiomyopathy
2017-2022: Horizon 2020 - ERC-2016-CoG – 725229: EVICARE: Extracellular Vesicle-Inspired CArdiac Repair