dr. J.J.C. (Joost) Verhoeff Associate Professor - medical
- Radiotherapy (research)
- Department of Radiotherapy
My mission is to redefine Standard Radiotherapy
As a radiation oncologist, I treat cancer patients with high precision radiotherapy. The UMC Utrecht has the right machinery for this (2x MRI-linac, 10x CT-linac). My goal is providing the best cancer treatment. Some patients want to live as long as possible regardless of treatment side effects, others want quality of life. To find balance is key.
The UMC Utrecht department of radiation oncology is a terrific place to spend my days, as it is even the birthplace of the MRI-linac.
I subspecialized in treatment of brain tumors and lung cancer. About half of my time I spend on research as associate professor.
- Increasing quality of life by shorter but better focused radiation treatment
- Increasing overall survival by combining better treatment modalities
- Finding best treatments for each specific patient: personalized medicine.
- Increasing quality of life by incorporating MR-guided treatment post operative (MRI-linac)
- Better predicting patient survival by deep learning
- Increasing quality of life by incorporating MR-guided treatment (MR-Linac)
Cardiac Ablative SBRT:
- In collaboration with 17 other European hospitals we develop strategies to treat Ventricular Tachycardia in the STOPSTORM framework.
- Szabolcs David (brain tumors)
- Steven Nagtegaal MD (brain tumors)
- Wouter van Amsterdam MD (deep learning, lung cancer)
- Eva van Grinsven MSc (brain tumors)
- Arthur van der Boog BS (brain tumors)
Residents radiation oncology performing research:
- Marnix Rasing MD (lung cancer)
- Laura Merckel MD PhD (MRI-linac lung cancer)
- Joyce Lodeweges MD (lung cancer)
- Max Peters MD PhD (epidemiology, lung cancer)
- Peter van Rossum MD PhD (MRI-linac, epidemiology, lung cancer)
- Pim Damen MD (immunotherapies)
- Christa Gadella MD (brain tumors)
- Alexander van Hulsbergen BS (brain tumors)
- Daniel Versnel (brain tumors)
- Myra van Laar (lung cancer)
Full list of publications on PubMed: click here (automatic list is incomplete)