FAQs e-modules in Blackboard
FAQs re e-modules in Blackboard E-modules are electronic modules that present learning material in various ways. E-modules can be accessed via the Internet anytime and anywhere. Visual material plays a central role in e-modules; photos, videos and illustrations can be included. Interactive methods enable you to rehearse the material and test yourself.
- Whom can I contact if I have any questions about e-modules?
- Why can’t I navigate freely through the e-module?
- How can I check my progress in the e-module?
- What will happen if I (accidentally) interrupt the e-module?
- Why am I not able to open the checklist after I have started up the e-module?
- When I work on an e-module on my own computer (either at home or elsewhere) it is very slow. What can I do about that?
- Can I work on an e-module on a tablet?
- What should I do if the e-module jams?
- How can I check that the result is recorded after I have completed a particular e-module?
- What should I do if I have completed an e-module, but it has not been checked off in the Grade Center?
- What should I do in the event of any other technical problems in the e-module?
1. Whom can I contact if I have any questions about e-modules?
If you have any questions about the content of the e-module, please contact the responsible coordinator or the teacher of the course that the e-module relates to.
2. Why can’t I navigate freely through the e-module?
Most e-modules require that you go through them from start to finish the first time you do them.
Once you have completed (but not yet closed) the e-module, you can navigate freely via the menu.
3. How can I check my progress in the e-module?
Newly designed e-modules include a breadcrumb trail as a navigation aid. It enables you to navigate through the e-module (if free navigation is permitted) and the status bar keeps track of your progress.
The breadcrumb trail is located in the top right corner of the screen and is indicated by three dots.
4. What will happen if I (accidentally) interrupt the e-module?
If the e-module or your computer has been inactive for a certain period of time, you will automatically be logged out of Blackboard and the e-module will close. All previously recorded answers and results are kept after closing.
When you re-open the e-module via Blackboard you will be asked whether you want to continue where you left off. Click on 'Yes'.
5. Why am I not able to open the checklist after I have started up the e-module?
Some Blackboard courses (such as that of Clinical Skills Training) contain checklists that are used in education. It is not possible to open a checklist if you have already opened the e-module.
If you want to have the checklists at hand while doing the e-module, we recommend you open them before starting the e-module.
6. When I work on an e-module on my own computer (either at home or elsewhere) it is very slow. What can I do about that?
Although the e-modules should work on all computers, it could be that 'heavy' e-modules (with lots of videos, animations or images) do not work properly on your own computer. In that case, go to the Learning and Resource Center to do the e-module.
7. Can I work on an e-module on a tablet?
The modules are primarily designed for PCs and laptops. A number of tablets (partially) support the modules.
To ensure that your e-module works properly and is administrated properly via Blackboard we recommend that you do NOT use a tablet.
8. What should I do if the e-module jams?
Should the e-module jam, close the e-module, Blackboard and the browser completely and restart them all.
You should be able to pick up where you left off.
9. How can I check that the result is recorded after I have completed a particular e-module?
If you are required to have completed the e-module before attending your course (such as Clinical Skills training), always check once you have completed the e-module that the e-module has been checked off in the Grade Center. You can check this via My Grades in the left-hand column of the menu.
This way, the Clinical Skills Training administration checks the check mark. Once you have completed the e-module including the self- test, you should see a check mark alongside the e-module, as shown below.
10. What should I do if I have completed an e-module, but it has not been checked off in the Grade Center?
Step 1: Log out of Blackboard and also close the browser. Restart your browser and log back into Blackboard.
Step 2: Go back to the Grade Center. When you still don't see a ✔, but a dash or blue circle next to the e-module, please contact the Clinical Skills Training Secretariat and the Service Desk of the Education Center before the deadline, via the contact information provided below.
If you do this before the deadline, you will be admitted to the class. If you do this after the deadline, or if you have not checked the Grade Center and discover when you register for the class that the e-module has not been checked off, you will not be admitted to the class.
11. What should I do in the event of any other technical problems in the e-module?
Should you encounter any other problems related to the functioning of the e-module, you can contact the Service Desk.
Education Center Service Desk
Location: Learning and Resource Center Desk, 3rd floor, Hijmans van den Bergh Building, Universiteitsweg 98, Utrecht
Opening hours: Monday through Friday from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm.
Clinical Skills Training secretariat
Location: Room 3.06 in the Hijmans van den Bergh Building, Universiteitsweg 98, Utrecht.