dr. J. (Judith) van de Kamp
dr. J. (Judith) van de Kamp
- Global Health team 2
Judith van de Kamp is a medical anthropologist and assistant professor Global Health Education at the Julius Center for Health Sciences, UMC Utrecht. She is a senior lecturer (SKO) and the coordinator of various global health courses at bachelor and master level at UMC Utrecht and University College Utrecht (UCU). She is author of the Dutch book ‘De derde wereld op je cv’ (The third world on your resume) for Dutch adolescents with an interest in working in LMICs.
Judith is passionate about teaching on health equity and justice, and about building strong institutional educational curricula that allow for students to grow an intercultural and open mindset to tackle complex health challenges, both in The Netherlands and abroad.
Van de Kamp received her PhD at the University of Amsterdam, focusing on power dynamics and relationships between teams of international health professionals working in LMICs. Her work touches upon Industrial White Savior Complex, intercultural competences, power and privileges, public and hidden transcripts, colonial mentality, (im)personal authority and hierarchy, different perceptions on the practice of medicine and the role of donations. She is currently focusing on implementing findings on the institutional level, by building equitable international partnerships, both in the context of students’ International Medical Electives (IMEs) as well as with professionals in various international universities and academic hospitals. This includes researching the best possible strategies to build and strengthen these partnerships, in transdisciplinary research together with staff and students in international partner institutions. She has worked extensively together with Dr. Seye Abimbola who was the Prince Claus Chair (2020-2022) and continues to work with him and others on equity and justice principles in global health. Her research is strongly connected to and embedded in her education.
Van de Kamp teaches on global health in historical context, saviorism and power dynamics, anthropology, health differences between and within countries (including The Netherlands - #globalhealthathome) and equitable/ethical communication on global health and humanitarian assistance. She is an expert in developing and implementing innovative didactic concepts in global health education, including decolonization of education and research, Community-Engaged Learning (CEL), Challenge-Based Learning (CBL), Interdisciplinarity and systems thinking, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) and Virtual International Collaboration (VIC) projects together with students in universities abroad.
Next to teaching at Utrecht, Judith provides training and workshops for health students and professionals with an interest in going abroad at other universities, both in The Netherlands and abroad. She is involved in a number of side activities (see below).
- Deputy Editor of the journal Global Heart
- Member of the Dutch Global Health Educators’ Network (GHEN)
- Member of the ECTMIH 2023 Local Organizing Committee
- Trainee in Utrecht University's training program on Interdisciplinarity (2022-2023)
- Member of the following Utrecht University's teacher communities (Special Interest Groups):
* Challenge-Based Learning (CBL)
* Community Engaged Learning (CEL)
* Scholarship of Teaching & Learning (SoTL)
* Co-Creation Community Learning Spaces (CCC-LS)
- Member of the Julius Center Education Committee
- Member of the UMC Utrecht Advisory Board 'Building Bridges to Connect Worlds' (intercultural competencies in education)
Fellowship and Awards
- 2022: Teaching grant - Virtual International Collaboration, Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW)
- 2021: Teaching grant - Fostering Collaboration & Inclusive Pedagogy, University College Utrecht
- 2020: Teaching grant - Community Engaged Learning, Utrecht University
- 2020: Teaching grant - Blended Learning, Utrecht University
- 2016: Robbert Dijkgraaf Essay Award, New Scientist, Parool & Folia (for PhD research)
- 2015: Scholarship Dioraphte Foundation (for PhD research)
- 2015: Scholarship Amsterdam University Fund (for PhD research)
- 2014: Scholarship Prins Bernard Cultuurfonds (for PhD research)
- 2013: Scholarship Foundation Catharine van Tussenbroek Fund (for PhD research)
- 2009: Pieter van Foreest Science Award, VU Medical Center (for MSc research)
Research Output (10)
van de Kamp Judith 6 Mar 2023, p. 156-189 33 p.
van Boetzelaer Elburg, Browne Joyce L, Vaid Sonali, Pellecchia Umberto, van de Kamp Judith, Franco Oscar H, Baidjoe Amrish Y 2023, In: PLOS global public health. 3 4 p.
van de Kamp Judith 3 Nov 2022, In: MTb. 60 , p. 21-23 3 p.
van de Kamp Judith, Addison Julia, Browne Joyce, Glas-van Dijk Lisanne, Chirwa Gonani Tabu, Lachmi Kodan 3 Nov 2022, In: MTb. 60 , p. 18-20 3 p.
van de Kamp Judith, Browne Joyce, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin, Cinar Elci Omur, Alam Nazmul 3 Dec 2021,
de Zeeuw Janine, van de Kamp Judith, Browne Joyce L 31 Aug 2019, In: The Lancet. 394 , p. 731 1 p.
van de Kamp Judith 5 Mar 2019, 224 p.
van de Kamp Judith 31 Oct 2017, 244 p.
van de Kamp Judith, Rompa Paul 2012, In: Tijdschrift voor Gezondheidszorg en Ethiek. 22
van de Kamp Judith 2009, In: Medicine Anthropology Theory. 21 , p. 247-256 10 p.