dr. J.J.C. (Joost) VerhoeffAssociate Professor - medical
- Radiotherapy (research)
- Department of Radiotherapy
My lab's mission is to redefine Standard Radiotherapy
As radiation oncologists, we treat cancer patients with high precision radiotherapy. The UMC Utrecht has the right caring team and right machinery for this (2x MRI-linac, 10x CT-linac). My lab's goal is providing the best cancer treatment for each patient. Some patients want to live as long as possible regardless of treatment side effects, others want quality of life. To find balance is key.
The UMC Utrecht department of radiation oncology is a terrific place to do clinical research, as it is even the birthplace of the MRI-linac. Next, the Radiation Oncology department harbours 2 1.5T MRI systems, a 3.0T MRI. a 7.0T MRI and a PET-MRI.
Joost Verhoeff subspecialized in treatment of brain tumors and lung cancer. About half of his time he spends on research as associate professor.
- Increasing quality of life by shorter but better focused radiation treatment
- Increasing overall survival by combining better treatment modalities
- Coordination of ZonMW funded GOLD trial (dutch info), 30x2Gy+TMZ versus 6x6Gy+TMZ for primary GBM
- Coordination of KWF funded RISinG trial (Dutch info), 10x3.4Gy versus 4x7.5Gy for recurrent GBM
- Finding best treatments for each specific patient: personalized medicine.
- Increasing quality of life by incorporating MR-guided treatment post operative (MRI-linac)
- Coimbra brain metastasis prospective cohort (website)
- Better predicting patient survival and toxicity by deep learning
- Increasing quality of life by incorporating MR-guided treatment (MR-Linac)
- U-color prospective cohort, for all lung cancer patients that receive radiotherapy
Cardiac Ablative SBRT:
- In collaboration with 30 other European hospitals we develop strategies to treat Ventricular Tachycardia in the STOPSTORM.eu framework.
- Szabolcs David PhD (brain tumors, imaging)
- Jacqueline Pomp MD PhD, radiation oncologist, (lung cancer and deep learning)
- Peter van Rossum MD PhD MSc, resident radiation oncologist (MRI-linac, epidemiology, lung cancer)
- Steven Nagtegaal MD (brain tumors, cognitive changes)
- Wouter van Amsterdam MD (deep learning, lung cancer)
- Eva van Grinsven MSc (neuro-psychology, brain tumors)
- Arthur van der Boog BS (brain tumors, clinical trials)
- Belle van Duin MD (melanoma, imaging, pathology)
Residents radiation oncology performing research:
- Laura Merckel MD PhD (MRI-linac lung cancer)
- Marnix Rading MD (lung cancer)
- Joyce Lodeweges MD (lung cancer)
- Max Peters MD PhD MSc (epidemiology, lung cancer)- Pim Damen MD (immunotherapies)
- Janneke van der Stap MANP (lung cancer)
Students (medical, biomedical, informatics):
- Alexander van Hulsbergen BS (brain tumors)
- Daniel Versnel (brain tumors)
- Myra van Laar (lung cancer)
- Sjors Witteveen (lung cancer)
- Marc Pijper (lung cancer)
- Bas Arends (deep learning for spine tumor treatment)
- Anouk Steennis (brain metastases)
- Hajo Boersma (psychiatric disorders and radiotherapy)
- Eliza van Wulfften Palthe (brain metastases)
- Emma Nessen (brain metastases)
- Victor Wasser (brain tumor imaging)
- Salah Gasle (brain tumor imaging)
- Ali Ghannam (brain metastases cohort)
- Jasper Hennecken (spinal imaging)
Former group members (medical, biomedical, informatics):
- Cathalijne Post (brain tumors)
- Robin Schuijlenburg (brain tumors)
- Merel Kraak (lung cancer)
- Suzanne Vellinga (lung cancer)
- Netanja Harlianto (lung cancer)
- Yannic Hanekamp (Covid treatment)
- Sjors Wagemakers (pain meassurement)
- Max van Essen (brain tumors)
- Chris Hammerstein (survival analyses)
Full list of publications on PubMed: click here (automatic list is incomplete)
Research Output (61)
Immunomodulation Through Low-Dose Radiation for Severe COVID-19:Lessons From the Past and New Developments
Hanekamp Yannic N, Giordano James, Hanekamp Jaap C, Khan Mohammad K, Limper Maarten, Venema Constantijn S, Vergunst Samuel D, Verhoeff Joost J C, Calabrese Edward J 6 okt 2020, In: Dose-response : a publication of International Hormesis Society. 18 , p. 1559325820956800
Age, pathology and CA-125 are prognostic factors for survival in patients with brain metastases from gynaecological tumours
Nagtegaal S H J, Hulsbergen A F C, van Dorst E B L, Kavouridis V K, Jessurun C A C, Broekman M L D, Smith T R, Verhoeff J J C sep 2020, In: Clinical and translational radiation oncology. 24 , p. 11-15 5 p.
Glioma consensus contouring recommendations from a MR-Linac International Consortium Research Group and evaluation of a CT-MRI and MRI-only workflow
Tseng Chia-Lin, Stewart James, Whitfield Gillian, Verhoeff Joost J C, Bovi Joseph, Soliman Hany, Chung Caroline, Myrehaug Sten, Campbell Mikki, Atenafu Eshetu G, Heyn Chinthaka, Das Sunit, Perry James, Ruschin Mark, Sahgal Arjun 29 aug 2020, In: Journal of Neuro-Oncology.
Deroose Christophe M, Lecouvet Frédéric E, Collette Laurence, Oprea-Lager Daniela E, Kunz Wolfgang G, Bidaut Luc, Verhoeff Joost J C, Caramella Caroline, Lopci Egesta, Tombal Bertrand, de Geus-Oei Lioe-Fee, Fournier Laure, Smits Marion, deSouza Nandita M 1 aug 2020, In: European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. 47 , p. 2054-2058 5 p.
Prognostic factors for overall survival of stage III non-small cell lung cancer patients on computed tomography:a systematic review and meta-analysis
van Laar Myra, van Amsterdam Wouter A C, van Lindert Anne S R, de Jong Pim A, Verhoeff Joost J C 22 jul 2020, In: Radiotherapy & Oncology. 151 , p. 152-175 24 p.
Effect of radiation therapy on cerebral cortical thickness in glioma patients:Treatment-induced thinning of the healthy cortex
Nagtegaal Steven H J, David Szabolcs, Snijders Tom J, Philippens Marielle E P, Leemans Alexander, Verhoeff Joost J C 10 jul 2020, In: Neuro-oncology advances. 2 8 p.
A single neural network for cone-beam computed tomography-based radiotherapy of head-and-neck, lung and breast cancer
Maspero Matteo, Houweling Antonetta C., Savenije Mark H.F., van Heijst Tristan C.F., Verhoeff Joost J.C., Kotte Alexis N.T.J., van den Berg Cornelis A.T. apr 2020, In: Physics and Imaging in Radiation Oncology. 14 , p. 24-31 8 p.
Impact of body fat distribution and sarcopenia on the overall survival in patients with spinal metastases receiving radiotherapy treatment:a prospective cohort study
Pielkenrood B J, van Urk P R, van der Velden J M, Kasperts N, Verhoeff J J C, Bol G H, Verkooijen H M, Verlaan J J mrt 2020, In: Acta Oncologica. 59 , p. 291-297 7 p.
Hulsbergen Alexander F C, Claes An, Kavouridis Vasileios K, Ansaripour Ali, Nogarede Claudine, Hughes Melissa E, Smith Timothy R, Brastianos Priscilla K, Verhoeff Joost J C, Lin Nancy U, Broekman Marike L D 23 jan 2020, In: Neuro-Oncology. 22 , p. 1173-1181 9 p.
van Amsterdam W. A. C., Verhoeff J. J. C., de Jong P. A., Leiner T., Eijkemans M. J. C. 10 dec 2019, In: NPJ DIGITAL MEDICINE. 2 , p. 122